Despite the impact of the pandemic in 2020, Turkey’s machinery exports reached $ 17,1 billion. Machinery sector contributed 10,9 percent of Turkey’s total exports. Machinery sector’s contribution to Turkey’s total export was 10,9 percent.
Over the last 17 years, machinery export has increased 12 fold. More than 200 countries around the world use Turkish machines. The percentage of Turkish machines exported to USA and EU countries is 60. Machines come first in products that Germany and USA import from Turkey.
Turkey is the sixth-largest machine manufacturer in Europe, ranked 27th in the global machinery trade in 2020.
Turkish machinery sector attaches great importance to R&D activities. In Turkey, the ratio of R&D expenditure to GNP keeps increasing. Turkish Machinery facilitates digital transformation, with expertise in systems engineering.
Top Ten Countries in Machinery Export of Turkey (2020, %)
Production in the Turkish machinery sector has increased more than doubled in 10 years. With its rapid development and the potential it has, the Turkish Machinery Sector is a sector which is increasing its share in the Turkish economy and exports. The share of Turkish machinery export is almost 11% in Turkey’s total export. Turkey exports machinery to more than 200 countries (including free zones).
Turkey ranks 26th in world’s machinery export, 23th in world’s machinery import in 2018. Over the last 15 years, machinery export has increased 10 fold. About 60% of machinery export is to EU and the USA. The share of machinery sector in total export of Turkey was almost %11 in 2019.
Advantages of Turkish Machinery Industry
- Developed engineering skills and quick adaptation to new technologies
- Sufficient facilities (like industrial zones) and sufficient infrastructure
- Advanced sub-industry
- Rapid adaptation to international manufacturing standarts
- Quality awareness
- Specialized, highly educated and skilled middle and senior managers
- Young workforce
- Domestic supply of raw materials
- Flexible structure of SMEs (Most of the companies in the machine manufacturing industry in Turkey are SMEs)
- High level organization of the sector
- Geographical proximity to some of the highest growth markets in machinery